Sunday, April 24, 2011

Across the Universe by Beth Revis Book Review


Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Publisher: Razorbill
Publication Date: January 11, 2011
Pages: 398
Interest: Series (Across the Universe Book 1)
Challenge: 2011 Debut Author Challenge

Synopsis: A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder.
Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.
Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone-one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship-tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.
Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.

                When I started to read this book I find it confusing but when I read further more it holds my attention. The writing style is fantastic because it shows the two different prospective from the two lead characters. And since it was set in the future, a lot of things were manifested in the plot that’s beyond my imagination. I love the cover, it’s beautiful and carefully created that the cover itself can compel me to read it.

            Beth picked the right set of characters that could really whisk the emotions of the readers weather you’ll love them, hate them or empathize like what I felt with Amy. Overall, the book has an emotional impact with me that after I finished it; I find myself just want to cry.

            I love the proper timing of events and mysteries that gradually unfold that made the plot really enjoyable to read further. It’s hard to guess what will happen next and especially what would be the ending. A lot of things were kept in the dark and some of those secrets will be revealed in the sequel.

            Beth didn’t practically focused in the romance part between Amy and Elder but instead the hint of attraction between them played a huge role to trigger to unfold those mysteries that envelopes Godspeed.

            After I read Across the Universe, I was kept awake at night thinking back about the plot and I’ve been dreaming about the sequel.

Plot:
Writing:
Characters:
Ending:
Cover:
Overall:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails