Wednesday, October 13, 2010

CLOCKWORK ANGEL BY CASSANDRA CLARE BOOK REVIEW


Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry

Publication Date: August 31, 2010

Pages: 479

Series: The Infernal Devices

Age Bracket: Young Adult

Synopsis: Magic is dangerous--but love is more dangerous still.
When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos.
Kidnapped by the mysterious Dark Sisters, members of a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club, Tessa soon learns that she herself is a Downworlder with a rare ability: the power to transform, at will, into another person. What's more, the Magister, the shadowy figure who runs the Club, will stop at nothing to claim Tessa's power for his own.
Friendless and hunted, Tessa takes refuge with the Shadowhunters of the London Institute, who swear to find her brother if she will use her power to help them. She soon finds herself fascinated by--and torn between--two best friends: James, whose fragile beauty hides a deadly secret, and blue-eyed Will, whose caustic wit and volatile moods keep everyone in his life at arm's length...everyone, that is, but Tessa. As their search draws them deep into the heart of an arcane plot that threatens to destroy the Shadowhunters, Tessa realizes that she may need to choose between saving her brother and helping her new friends save the world...and that love may be the most dangerous magic of all.


It took me a week to finish this book. Not because I’ve grown bored about it but because of my busy schedule this past week and I had a hard time sneaking to read it. But when I’ve reached the third quarter part of the book and the action hits the pages, I couldn’t put it down. My eyes were totally glued to the pages and can’t wait to see what will happen next. I love the twists and they were well weaved and organized, plus the concept of automatons in the Victorian era that is hard to distinguish because of their resemblance with real human. For the characters, I can see some resemblance in the personality between most of the characters in The Mortal Instruments and Clockwork Angel.

At the beginning I used to admire Will with his courage and strength and the cool expression he has. But as the story progresses I’ve grown tired of his arrogance and his rudeness and I started to see him like a modern day jerk. I hate how he treats Tessa and Sophie and most of the girls around him. His true personality is masked with mystery. I was so disappointed that I could only see glimpses of his true self and until the end he guarded his true self and refused to discuss what really happened to him before.

I could say that my favorite character in this book is Jem. He’s always so calm, full of logic and understanding. He’s the total opposite of Will. From the first time Tessa saw him, something inside me had grown to like him in that instant. He’s a total gentleman and I love how he treats Tessa, and words unspoken I know that he feels something for her. At the climax part, my inside were screaming and cheering for Jem and wishing that he could make it, especially when he feels the poison starts to cause him pain again.

Tessa is a shape shifter whom Will rescued from the Dark sisters. Tessa is an orphan just like Jem and Will and she only got her missing brother as her only family. I can see Tessa as a typical type of character with her concern with her family and other people’s feelings although the only different about her is her ability to take the form of one person and have access to his memories. But I never thought that she possesses such valor and I admire her for that. I feel pity for her for what the person she truly trusts does to her.  And I can’t blame her why she felt so sorry for herself and she always blames herself for the troubles she believed she had caused. And the mystery of her true being is vaguely explained that’s why I’m disappointed but at least worth for something to wait for the next installment.

When I reach the half part I thought that that’s all and it seems to me that the plot is plain and very predictive, but then when I continue to dig in, I realized I was wrong. The story is not predictive, and the first half of the story is just the foundation of a very twisty plot that always made me guessing, and that is what I love in Cassandra’s style of writing. On the climax part, not just one happening surprised me and took me off guard but a lot of things that I never expected could occur based from the first few scenes. And I like how it was brought to its end and gave a start for the plot of the next installment.

So to sum it up, I totally had a good time reading it and I recommend it to you and don’t fret that you haven’t read the Mortal Instrument that’s keeping you from reading this. Whether you read it prior to The Mortal Instruments you will still find yourself engrossed with it. 

Plot:
Writing:
Characters:
Ending:
Cover:
Overall:






0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails