Tuesday, October 5, 2010

FALLEN BY LAUREN KATE BOOK REVIEW


Fallen by Lauren Kate

Publisher: Delacorte Press

Publication Date: December 8, 2009

Pages: 452

Series: Fallen book 1

Age Bracket: Young Adult

Synopsis: There’s something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.
Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price’s attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He’s the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.
Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce–and goes out of his way to make that very clear–she can’t let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret . . . even if it kills her.

          
           A magnificent book! It leaves me breathless. I was so awed after reading this. Although I’ve read it months ago, I think it’s around January when I read this book. Anyway I made a review of Fallen since I’ll be posting a review of Torment the second book of Fallen soon. It’s the first book I’ve read about fallen angels. Since this genre about fallen angels nowadays are very popular in the Young Adult market, I gave it a shot. And I heavenly loved it.

          At first look at the cover I assumed that it’s another vampire themed novel. The cover is so gorgeous. I first fell in love with the cover art. I even downloaded the wallpaper from their site and I used it as my desktop wallpaper. At first look, you’ll never think that this book is about angels. I was thinking before that it’s another vampire theme book, but I was wrong, way too wrong because the vampire turns out to be angels.

          The prologue part was wrapped in mystery that made me curious and I flipped through the pages to sate my curiosity. I could describe this book as “book of mystery” because there’s this whole lot of mystery that wraps Daniel Grigori, and the shadows that surrounds and hunts Luce since her childhood. And also the mystery Luce can’t explain that took place at the camp and that's why she ended up at Sword and Cross, a reform school for teenagers with criminal sort of cases. 

          At Sword and Cross, Luce meets Daniel Grigori, the steaming hot sexy blond guy, who looks familiar to Luce. But Daniel turns out to be mean, hostile, cold and sometimes rude to Luce. But beyond those treatments, Luce can’t help the invisible thread that pulls her toward Daniel and her instincts tells her to uncover the mystery behind the familiarity she feels toward Daniel. Until she found out that there’s a very deep reason why Daniel treats here like that. And there’s Cam, the alluring classmate of Luce, who distracts her attention to Daniel. Who cheers her up when she’s lonely and frustrated and Cam also shows interest to Luce. And in the end it turns out that Cam is a tight competitor of Daniel a long time ago. I love the other characters that Luce made friends at Sword and Cross, especially Penn, which resembles my best friend’s traits. Some of them had grown on me and it’s sad that one of them has to die at the end. I love the twist at the climax part that revealed the real identity of some of the characters and surprised Luce.

          Also I love the protagonist, Luce. She's a stubborn, sweet, friendly girl. I love how she struggles to fit in her new school, her new life and to deal with her cruel environment. I love how she fought to unveil the mysteries between Daniel and her despite his hostile treatments.

          Fallen is a paranormal, and forbidden romance, that’s why I really love it. I’m such a sucker for this kind of love story. For me, it could give more twists, excitement and its hard to predict whether it would be a happy or totally tragic ending because there’s a lot of possible ways that could lead to an unexpected ending. The Luce-Daniel story, is down to earth forbidden and tragic. It’s like them against the whole universe, that’s why its so exciting to read to know more about their tragic story.

          I love how Lauren delivered the climax part. On those part my attention was totally focused on it and like I don’t want to waste even a single scene. The real action begins in that part and also the real villain was revealed, which I didn’t expect in the beginning. The twists were flawlessly delivered and it leave me so shocked. Although there were a lot of mysteries and unanswered questions left in this book that made me so crazy to read the sequel. 

Plot:
Writing:
Characters:
Ending:
Cover:
Overall:







0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails